In August 2023, the Under 6s Doctor Visit Card was extended. Children under the age of 8 are now also eligible for free GP visits. Applying is quick and easy online. See: https://www2.hse.ie/services/gp-visit-cards/under-6s-gp-visit-card.html
Free GP visits are available to patients who have completed this registration process and have been issued with a valid, HSE-issued Doctor Visit Card.
Once you receive your child’s DVC, the card number needs to be recorded on their patient chart here at the surgery. You should email the DVC number to us at email@example.com Without a DVC card number, visits will be treated as private and charged for accordingly.
GP Visit Card for Under 8s
1. Register baby’s birth. PPSN will be issued.
2. Apply for GP Visit card online via link below.
3. Inform us when application made so we can accept on our panel.
4. Provide us with new card number for baby’s chart.
5. Aim to complete these steps within 6 weeks of baby’s birth.
6. Make the Practice aware of any issues with this process.
- The cost of your child’s first 2 ante-natal visits and the baby vaccination programme are covered by the State.
- The GP Visit card also entitles them to free doctor visits and free Out of Hours services (eg SouthDoc).
- Once a newborn baby’s birth is registered and they are issued with a PPSN, they are eligible to apply for a GP Visit Card.
- The online application process is simple and quick.
- We allow 6 weeks for parents to organise their baby’s GP Visit Card and provide us with their card number.
- We recognise that, in some exceptional cases, parents may not be able to complete this process within a 6 week period. Such instances should be brought to our attention so that we may co-operate with and assist you.
NB: Without a GP Visit card, a child under 8 years of age is considered a private patient of the Practice and any consults will be charged accordingly.